Industry: Intensive horticulture
The problem: In the space of five years consumer and market preferences for fruit A changed rapidly from large fruit sold individually to small fruit sold in a pre-packaged form. The industry participant’s value chain did not evolve in line with this trend leading to;
- Approximately 40% of raw material falling outside specification for premium markets.
- Approximately 25% more hectares being planted in order to meet customer demand.
- Rising processing costs and declining profitability
The solution: a multidisciplinary value chain team implemented a series of improvement projects over the course of three production seasons that;
- Increased the portion of raw material in specification for premium markets from 60% to 85%.
- Increased the premium packed yield per hectare farmed by 25%.
- Substantially reduced the number of hectares planted decreasing significantly the management, technical and operational resources consumed by the enterprise.
- Dramatically increasing packing shed throughput, labour, plant and equipment utilisation.